Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I thought I'd share this photo of my Great-Grandmother, Josie, and my Grandmother, Virginia.  Check out those lapels!  I knew both of them.  By the time I was born, Josie was blind and only traveled from home to church on Sundays when Gin Gin would pick her up.  Both were amazing cooks and known in the community and especially the church for a meal fixed in an iron skillet or any dessert they made with a crust.  Josie having raised 8 children of her own and helped raise another 20 grandchildren knew how to feed a crowd and taught all of her daughters the same technique.  My grandmother could fry enough chicken fried steak to feed any busy resturant for an entire day in what seemed like the blink of an eye and each piece would be just as warm and crisp as the next and every pie had a crust that was consistantly as flaky as the next.  I strive for this cooking perfection - I think I've made it with the pie crust - I figure I'll try the skillet skills next.  Steak supper anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment