Sunday, November 28, 2021


 Room for 8!

I've had two of these Buick box wagons and they will always have a special place in my heart.  It all started with "Adventures in Babysitting" and seeing one at our local Buick dealer in my hometown.  The first I had was a 1990 and the one above was a 1983 I traded the '90 for.  We had six months together.  I replaced the entire front brake system, the speedometer housing (special for that year only - try finding that!), new tires, new hubcaps, NOS steering wheel, OEM factory stereo, and exhaust system.  While I was in New York an ice storm came through Dallas and while it was at the repair shop another car slid into it and demolished the rear passenger door and the shop repainted it a COMPLETELY different of blue and couldn't match the woodgrain.  It looked like a demo-derby contender.  I filed on my insurance to get the door repaired correctly that also meant re-wrapping the entire car in new woodgrain decals.  When the decal material came in and I was driving it to the shop, I stopped at a stop sign and wondered what the loud noice was - well, the engine slung a rod.  $3,800 to replace.  I decided to pull the plug on this dream machine.  In total I only took a $3,000 loss on the whole thing - offset by the insurance check.  In life we have to determine when to just let go.  6 months. 

Now let's talk about eight years.  I've been a full time actor for eight years.  I decided to put it all in for this dream of mine after I was laid off from a mortgage company back in 2013.  For eight years I've operated at a loss from my acting income - I've never booked a SAG gig.  This year I've only booked/worked on three very low pay non-union commercials - no TV or movie bookings.  I feel like my career is about to need a new engine...

I went to my hometown for the Thanksgiving holiday and I can't tell if going home makes me sad or if I'm just sad.  Maybe I'll try to find a wagon to lift my spirits!  :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment