Buy a car. Sell a car...uh, TRY to sell a car.
I've bought and sold several cars in my lifetime and each time managed to make a little coin in the end. These have all be what you'd consider cash cars and a little advice I can share is if you don't want to take a bath on resale, stick to vehicles under $5,000. Now, I didn't buy this 2017 E300 with the intent to flip it but when I found a car I liked better for way less it never occurred to me that I'd have zero luck selling the newer of the two. For the first time I find myself 4 months into trying to sell this thing with nothing but offers $10,000 less than my asking price that is already $5,000 less than dealer retail AND it has a transferable CPO warranty. I'm dumbfounded. I'm over trying to be nice to people who insult me. I'm ready to be rid of this extremely nice machine!
I'm crazy for cars and always have been but the older I get the more I want to own and drive older examples. Maybe one day I can be like Jay Leno but I don't think I'll ever own more than I could drive on a regular basis. When I was a kid I'd get collector cars from my grandmother for my birthday and Christmas but I'd always tear them up because I'd play with them and they were meant to just sit on a shelf. In the car collector world, I'd be called a 40 footer collector. These are cars that look great, have been and continue to be driven, and are maintained as daily drivers by their owners. I've tried being a new car owner but it's just not for me - it's not who I am.

No comments:
Post a Comment