Saturday, February 5, 2022


 I own it. 

A little creativity I've been working on for a few years now has finally reached a new pinnacle.  What started as an assignment in a script writing class Del Shores gave about five years ago actually took the form of grief therapy after my mother died in 2015.  First it was a short, one scene script that got a little longer with time then I decided to draw it out to a little over an hour's worth of screen time.  I asked many people to read it and everyone said they would but nobody ever actually did.  For years I would read and rewrite things until the language flowed the way I wanted it to but never thinking any more about it than a little piece of copy.

When the pandemic shut the world down two years ago and a  I sat and watched it unfold on social media, I noticed a post from a newly acquired friend on Facebook on April 22, 2020.  She was offering to teach individuals how to pitch scripts and ideas but I reached out to her and asked if she would read my screenplay and give me feedback - she said yes.  For a reasonably agreed upon payment she dove into my script and offered some very valuable advice on some issues with "is this or is this not interesting?" and "WTF are you trying to say?".  In the end her advice was besides a few missteps, considering this was my first rattle out of the box, it was a very good script and I had a real grasp for dialog which is NOT something one can be taught - either you have it or you don't.   I wanted her to read it again after I did my adjustments she suggested but eventually she was too busy producing a HULU series and also pitching a new series of her own.  Pat Resnick was the first person to give real validation to my work and I'll be forever grateful to her - I also love her work as well.  

Now, let's move on to the latest phase of this script development.  I took a chance on asking two of my mentors to read my stack.  Now, through life and living, one has read it and the other is trying to catch up with prior obligations and get to it.  The powerhouse that has read it gave me the biggest validation I didn't really know I wanted.  First there were accolades, then suggestions, a small rewrite, and now I'm sharing my work via "sides" for my fellow actors to actually audition with my original material.  I'm going to get to hear my own words spoken and I really can't describe how that feels.  Going from "maybe this is alright" to "fucking great" is cloud nine material.  

We're now copyrighted, both through the US copyright office and a poor man's version of mailing my own script to myself.  What happens next?  That same mentor said she has people that are interested in a script to make into a movie - will it be mine?...


No comments:

Post a Comment