Can we talk about spelling things correctly for just a moment?
I realize that there have always been poor spellers in the world and heaven knows that I've made countless mistakes in reports, emails, and personal correspondences over the years; however, is there an excuse to acknowledge that you THINK you misspelled something knowing that you clearly did? We all have the internet in our hands at any moment and there is no doubt you can almost spell something correctly then Google will automatically correct it or suggest the nearest thing for your review.
One of my mother's nicknames was "MS. WEBSTER" because she really did have a photographic memory and knew spellings and definitions of, unless I'm off my guess, at least 80% of the English language. I was never scolded for poor spelling or grammatical errors but they were definitely pointed out to me for correction. I will never forget the time I asked my mother how to spell suede and she in turn asked me how I thought it was spelled - she really set me up for this - I responded "s-w-a-d-e". She might have laughed for a week and told anyone who would listen. S-U-E-D-E!
I feel like if someone doesn't at the very least re-read their messages, posts, or writings before they send them on - it's lazy. It irks me when I get a text message and the sender misconjugates a word or uses the wrong spelling like: to, too, two. I always respond first with "*too" or whatever the correct use is. I'm an asshole. I'm also smart and use that knowledge - for one thing, I fucking paid for it.
Is the wold today going to hell in a wheelbarrow? Can they even SPELL wheelbarrow?
No comments:
Post a Comment