Sunday, October 24, 2021


 Hey, J.R. from Dallas!  Haha, so handsome.  Three nights of drinking everything but the bath water proved to be very entertaining!

I ventured off to Natchez, Mississippi this past Thursday for a 3 day "weekend" of fundraising events for a very worthy cause, Y'all means All - Natchez.  It's an organization that raises money for LGBTQ+ youth suicide prevention.  I drove in Thursday and stayed with my longtime friends Steve and Windell at their plantation home, Traveler's Rest.  We attended a drag queen bingo the first night and I was the lucky audience member that was singled out for their comedy relief.  I always give it back 2 fold and they played right along.  Being J.R. from Dallas was a great gag - and an everlasting one...we topped it off with afters "under the hill".  I don't remember anything until lunch the next day at the Carriage House at Stanton Hall.  TIED.ONE.ON!  

The second night was a wonderful event hosted at Choctaw Hall that's downtown with an after party with a disco theme...in an upstairs address with NO air conditioning.  I'm determined to join the board so I can verify all venues next year will have adequate AC.  Have you ever seen a drag queen melt?  It's funny - just not for her.  The host was a local flavor, Josalyn Royale, and her co- host was a former RuPaul's drag race contestant, Mrs. Kasha Davis.  Both were lovely.  Both were over it.  

Night three started with a wonderful pre-drink at a private residence, Myrtle Terrace.  The hosts, Jim and Jeff were so gracious and I met at least 20 people I'd never laid eyes on before.  I've gone to Natchez practically every year of my life so that's quite a feat.  One gentleman stood out and was a real prize.  He used to live in Dallas and it turns out that he lived directly across the street from my old house in Perry Heights.  Cliff Redd also was the first executive director of the Shakespeare Guild in Dallas.  I left there and ran over to the Castle restaurant at Dunleith and met Del Shores for a drink before heading over to the main event of the weekend, The Battle of the Belles.  Our drag hosts were present and a very special guest entertainer, Leslie Jordan.  Tate Taylor was also in the audience with his husband, John.  I didn't get the opportunity to meet them.  There was an after party at a tiny little hole in the wall, Smoot's.  When I walked in the gal with the wrist bands, just as every stop after the first night, said "J.R. from Dallas, we're glad you're here!"  I guess the next trip will have to include my bringing a Sue Ellen.  Like that would be hard.

I got back this evening and I'm so tired that my ass is dragging out my tracks but I can't tell you how glad I am that I went.  I've never had less than a magical time in Natchez and I look forward to many, many more!  Next time, come with!  

No comments:

Post a Comment