Sunday, October 3, 2021


 On October 1, 2015, my mother made her final dramatic exit.  Making up her own mind to not go through dialysis after finding out her one remaining kidney was failing, she stopped eating and drinking until three days later it was all over.  No-one knew her intentions but after finding the doctor's report from the Monday before she died, it was clear what she'd learned and what her final decision was.  Stubborn? Yes. Insanely smart? Yes. The most complicated person I'd ever known and tried to love was a woman everyone in the world called Doll Baby.  

I had taken a writer's class with Del Shores shortly after she passed away and wrote a short script about the phone call my grandparents got in 1968 informing them their daughter and then husband had been in a severe car accident while out of town.  The husband, Tommy, didn't make it and died on their trip to the hospital two hours away.  After sorting through some of mother's private papers I realized there was more to the story and continued to write the then short script into a full length screenplay.  I had some help about a year ago from Patricia Resnick, original writer of the movie and later musical 9 to 5.  Great feedback and some really good direction on how to take care of the "so whats" helped bring the story to life.  It started with a way to deal with the pain of losing the only parent I ever knew (but did I really know her?).  Below is a lengthy excerpt from the beginning of the screenplay.  It was a scenario we played out all too often - same emotion, different circumstances. 

The 1st of this month was 6 years since she's been gone and I guess she has been on my mind a lot lately.  Let me introduce you to my mother:

J.R. - OFFICE - AFTERNOON

               J.R., 40, a mortgage underwriting VP, sits in his office
               crunching numbers.  His phone rings.

                                   J.R.
                         Underwriting.  This is J.R.

               PHONE CONVERSATION IS ONLY GLORIA'S VOICE.

                                   GLORIA
                         Hello Underwriting, this is your
                         mother.

                                   J.R.
                         Hello mother, this is your son.

                                   GLORIA
                         You busy?

               J.R. Eyes a big stack of files.

                                   J.R.
                         Nah.  How's your hammer hangin'?

                                   GLORIA
                         Well, I just got back from Piggs. 
                         For the second time.  They forgot
                         to ring up my orange juice at the
                         sale price.

                                   J.R.
                         You drove back across town to get
                         $.30?  

                                   GLORIA
                         It's the principle!  I think that
                         checker, Sheri, has it out for me. 
                         You remember the one with the lazy
                         eye?

                                   J.R.
                         Yeah, I could really use her.  I
                         bet she can 10 key like a beast and
                         still keep an eye on Jill making
                         personal phone calls.

               J.R. Yells out of his office to a co-worker.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Jill!  I need the approvals for
                         those Janecek refis by 3!

                                   GLORIA
                         Tell her I said hi.

                                   J.R.
                         Later.  She's got enough
                         distractions right now.  Speaking
                         of - what can I do for you?

                                   GLORIA
                         I bought a pork tenderloin.

                                   J.R.
                         Mmmhmmm...You making us dinner?

                                   GLORIA
                         I can't wait until 10:00 to eat.

                                   J.R.
                         How about I drive in this Friday? 

               J.R. pulls a box out of his desk drawer labled "home movies"

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Actually, I have a little something
                         for you.
                          

                                   GLORIA
                         Property taxes are due on the
                         timber.

               J.R. Looks a little agitated but flips through a file and
               pushes on.

                                   J.R.
                         And I'll bring my checkbook.

                                   GLORIA
                         Don't work to hard sweetheart.

                                   J.R.
                         Yes, Mother.

               J.R. hangs up the phone.



               INT. GLORIA'S HOUSE - AFTER 5.

               J.R. Pulls up in his car and walks towards the house.

               Inside the kitchen there is a glass of scotch on the counter
               and the table is set except for the pork that's sitting on
               the stove.  J.R. Walks in with his bag and a little box.

                                   J.R.
                         Hello?  I'm looking for the lady
                         who washes...

               Nobody answers.  J.R. picks up the glass of scotch and takes
               a whiff.  He takes a sip.  

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Mama?

               GLORIA, 70's, big hair, dressed in a white button down,
               jeans, pearls, big rings, and a Sam Moon tiara walks in the
               room.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Howdy Mrs. Aster.

               Gloria walks over and gives him a big hug and as he
               reciprocates she slightly winces in pain.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         What's...

                                   GLORIA
                         Oh, my fibro is acting up.

               J.R. Looks pensive then walks over and starts to cut the
               meat.  Gloria takes her scotch and goes over to the table and
               sits down.

               J.R. Clocks a prescription bottle - pain killers.  Nothing
               new.

               J.R. and Gloria sit at the table.

                                   GLORIA (CONT'D)
                         How was your drive?

                                   J.R.
                         Uneventful.  How's your scotch?

               Gloria jiggles her glass and smiles.

                                   GLORIA
                         It's good to have you home.  

               They both help their plates.



               INT: KITCHEN GLORIA'S HOUSE AFTER DINNER.

               J.R. Is washing off plates and Gloria pours another scotch
               then exits to the living room.

                                   GLORIA
                         I think I'll pull an Aunt Jo and...

               J.R. grins sheepishly 

                                   J.R.
                         Lock yourself in the bathroom until
                         I'm done?

                                   GLORIA
                         I'll be in the living room.

               J.R. Closes the dishwasher and picks up the prescription
               bottle and sees the date of refill was 5 days ago.  30 pills -
               he opens the bottle and sees there are only 10 pills in
               there.  Still, nothing new.

                                   J.R.
                         20 pills in 5 days...she's tapering
                         off.



               INT: LIVING ROOM

               Gloria is 1/2 laying down on the sofa with a crossword and a
               pen but not working the puzzle and J.R. Is sitting in the
               chair next to her.

                                   J.R.
                         Hard one?  Is it the Times puzzle?

                                   GLORIA
                         Mmmhmm.  

                                   J.R.
                         What was it your mom said about
                         working a crossword with an ink
                         pen?

                                   GLORIA
                         Confidence.  

               Beat.

                                   J.R.
                         What ya wanna' do?  Watch a movie? 
                         Play canasta?  Go throw rocks in
                         the lake?

                                   GLORIA
                         I've been thinking...

                                   J.R.
                         Did you enjoy it?

                                   GLORIA
                         Were you in the storage room the
                         last time you were home?

                                   J.R.
                         Huh?

                                   GLORIA
                         Some stuff was moved around.

                                   J.R.
                         I swear I don't know how you can
                         tell in 10,000 square feet of junk.

               Gloria getting noticeably upset.

                                   GLORIA
                         Well, it's my junk!  

                                   J.R.
                         Now don't get all tits a flutter. 
                         You're already asking that bra to
                         do all it can.

               J.R. Gets up and gets the box he came in with and hands it to
               Gloria.  Her mood instantly changes.

                                   GLORIA
                         What's this?

                                   J.R.
                         Open it and find out.

               Gloria opens the box and it's 8MM reels and a DVD.  It's
               actually a DVD of home movies J.R. had converted.

                                   GLORIA
                         Is this what you took out of my
                         room?

                                   J.R.
                         Yes.  And I can make more for you
                         to give to the family.

                                   GLORIA
                         Why waste your money?  I've seen
                         these - that's enough.

               J.R. Should be surprised but isn't.  This is typical
               behavior... what's hers is hers.

                                   J.R.
                         I've not seen them yet.  How about -
                         we watch it?

               J.R. walks over to the player and puts the DVD in.

                                   GLORIA
                         Did you put all those reels on
                         here?

                                   J.R.
                         Yeah.  They were dated so I just
                         had them put in that order.

               Gloria looks miffed.  

                                   GLORIA
                         I wish you'd have asked me first.

                                   J.R.
                         What's the big deal?  

               Beat.
                         I thought you'd like this.  Can we
                         just enjoy the sentiment?

                                   GLORIA
                         You just did this so you could
                         watch...

                                   J.R.
                         Yes mother.  I'm selfish and wanted
                         to force you to watch old home
                         movies to make me happy.

               Gloria has to stew a minute.  J.R. gets him a glass and
               brings the bottle of scotch back with him to the living room. 
               He tops off her glass.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Now, would you like to tell me
                         what's really bothering you?

                                   GLORIA
                         I just wish you would have asked me
                         first.

                                   J.R.
                         That kinda' ruins a surprise.

               Gloria takes a swig of scotch.

                                   GLORIA
                         OK.  Put it on.

               J.R. Turns on the TV and starts the movie.

               They both watch and comment on who is who.

                                   GLORIA (CONT'D)
                         There's Daddy.  Oh God, that was
                         the Christmas he sawed the turkey
                         in half.

                                   J.R.
                         Why is he smiling like that?

                                   GLORIA
                         He was just being a ham.

                                   J.R.
                         Right there - in front of the
                         turkey... 

               Gloria looks at her son in a "you're a dumb ass but I still
               love you" way.  Then she sees her mother and starts to tear
               up.

                                   GLORIA
                         Oh, there's Mama.  Oh, Lord.  I
                         miss her SO MUCH.

               J.R. Tries to smooth over the awkwardness.  This happens
               every time she sees a picture of her mother.

                                   J.R.
                         Where is this?  The house on Old
                         Wire Road?

                                   GLORIA
                         Yes

                                   J.R.
                         That linoleum floor was blinding. 

                                   GLORIA
                         That's 27 layers of paste wax.

               They both laugh.  Virginia was very meticulous. 

                                   J.R.
                         Which dog is that?

                                   GLORIA
                         That was Daddy's prize bird dog,
                         Jinx.  Did I ever tell you about
                         someone stealing him?

                                   J.R.
                         No.

                                   GLORIA
                         Jinx went missing and after 2 or 3
                         days Daddy figured someone must
                         have taken him but nobody saw
                         anything.  So, he went to a
                         psychic.

                                   J.R.
                         What?

                                   GLORIA
                         He was desperate.

                                   J.R.
                         What happened.

                                   GLORIA
                         Well, the lady told him a whole
                         bunch of stuff but basically that
                         the dog had been taken by someone
                         who lived in a white house on a
                         corner lot across from a KFC in a
                         town in Texas that sounded like
                         Pumpkin.

                                   J.R.
                         That sounds like a bunch of
                         bullshit.

                                   GLORIA
                         He was desperate!  He also
                         remembered his buddy Cecile came by
                         with a man Ce had just bought a dog
                         from and when Daddy called him to
                         ask who that man was he found out
                         he was from LUFKIN, TX...Then Daddy
                         drove to LUFKIN.  Circled the
                         blocks downtown and saw a KFC - the
                         white house - and his dog in the
                         front yard.

                                   J.R.
                         WHAT?

                                   GLORIA
                         That happened before I took this
                         movie and there's the damn dog!

               J.R. Looks at the screen then back at his mom.

                                   J.R.
                         Wow.

               Some time passes as they watch then they get to a stretch
               where there is a person J.R. Doesn't recognize.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Who is that man?

               Gloria tenses up a little.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Where is this?  I've never seen
                         this house before.  

               Gloria doesn't say anything.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Who's the man?

                                   GLORIA
                         That's not a man, that's Randi.  I
                         worked with her at the hospital.  

                                   J.R.
                         She looks like a man.  

                                   GLORIA
                         Well, she wasn't!  How do you fast
                         forward through this?

               Gloria is getting annoyed.

                                   J.R.
                         Oh, look!  There's Grandma Knight
                         on the phone...OOOOPP!  She just
                         hung up on them.  Remember when she
                         would just hang up on you when she
                         was done talking?

               Gloria just stares at the TV.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Did she always do that?

               No response still.  Gloria sips her scotch. 

               J.R. Sees his Uncle Pee Wee throw something on the floor and
               all the kids on the screen scurry to pick it up.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         What's that?

                                   GLORIA
                         The nickel scramble.  He'd get a
                         roll of nickels and break them open
                         and throw them all over the hall
                         and all the kids would scramble to
                         get as many as they could.  
                         It was so funny.

                                   J.R.
                         Seems like a lot of sugar for a
                         dime.

                                   GLORIA
                         You could buy a coke for $.10. It
                         was a pretty big deal.

               The last scene of the movie finishes.

                                   J.R.
                         Why weren't there any videos of me?

                                   GLORIA
                         I told you that you just wanted to
                         do this for yourself.

                                   J.R.
                         It's a fair question, mom.  These
                         run right up to when I was born.

                                   GLORIA
                         I got out the camera when you were
                         a baby but it didn't work anymore. 
                         Some things just don't last
                         forever.

                                   J.R.
                         Like this bottle of scotch.  Can
                         you get up?

                                   GLORIA
                         Yes, and I am going to because I
                         have to go to bed.

                                   J.R.
                         Or go outside to smoke.

                                   GLORIA
                         Shut up.

                                   J.R.
                         G'night. 

               J.R. Goes down the hall to his bed.  He has to remove a large
               mirror off the top of the covers and gently sets it on the
               floor.  Fade to black on him crawling in the bed in his PJs.



               INT: J.R.'S ROOM - MORNING.

               J.R. Is lying in bed reading some text messages.  It's 8AM
               and nobody is stirring as he gets up.  

               J.R. Goes to the kitchen and makes a pot of coffee.

               J.R Pours himself a cup of coffee and he's now dressed for
               the day.  

               J.R. Goes in his mothers room and she's still in the bed.

                                   J.R.
                         Hellooo...good morning, good
                         morning.  Are you going to get up?

                                   GLORIA
                         I will in a little bit.

                                   J.R.
                         I made some coffee.  I thought we'd
                         go to the cemetery before I leave.

                                   GLORIA
                         You're going back today?

                                   J.R.
                         Yeah.

                                   GLORIA
                         Whatever you think is best.

               Gloria starts to stir.

               J.R. Heads back to the kitchen.

                                   J.R.
                         I'll pour you some coffee.

               Gloria having a little trouble getting out of bed.

                                   GLORIA
                         Great!



               INT: KITCHEN 

               Gloria comes in and sits at the table in front of her coffee.

                                   J.R.
                         Breakfast?

                                   GLORIA
                         No, this is good.

                                   J.R.
                         Is there anything you need me to
                         do?

                                   GLORIA
                         I need a check for the taxes.

                                   J.R.
                         It's in that envelope on the table.

               Gloria looks over and smiles back at J.R.

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         I enjoyed watching those home
                         movies last night.  Makes me wish
                         that I could have been alive to
                         meet some of those people.

                                   GLORIA
                         It was a different time.  

               Beat.

                                   GLORIA (CONT'D)
                         You would have liked your
                         granddaddy.  He would have had you
                         on a horse before you could walk. 
                         He always wanted a son.  Tommy and
                         I were going to give him a grandson
                         but I lost that one.

                                   J.R.
                         I didn't know you lost a baby.

                                   GLORIA
                         There's a lot of things you don't
                         know.

               Beat.  

                                   J.R.
                         Is there anything you'd do
                         differently if you could?  You
                         know...

                                   GLORIA
                         You mean know then what I know now?

               J.R. waits...

                                   GLORIA (CONT'D)
                         Lots of things.  I might have had
                         my own antique's business or held
                         onto a little more money instead of
                         begging my son to pay for the only
                         thing I have to leave him when I'm
                         gone.

                                   J.R.
                         You've always spent your paycheck
                         before you could cash it.  What's
                         the difference now?

                                   GLORIA
                         That's what I've been thinking
                         about lately.  

                                   J.R.
                         Your paycheck?

               Gloria is trying to be serious.

                                   GLORIA
                         I haven't...  I'm 70 and still have
                         a mortgage on my house.  I drive a
                         12 year old car. 
                         Mama and Daddy paid cash for
                         everything - and I could have...

                                   J.R.
                         We never went hungry.

               Gloria eyes say "true"

                                   J.R. (CONT'D)
                         Who cares if a kid helps their
                         parents.

                                   GLORIA
                         I just could have made some better
                         choices over the years.  

               Beat

                                   GLORIA (CONT'D)
                         But the best one was deciding to
                         keep you.

                                   J.R.
                         KEEP me?  Were you going to give me
                         away?

                                   GLORIA
                         No. I found out I was pregnant and
                         it wasn't too late to terminate but
                         I decided - even though your daddy
                         and me weren't cut out to be
                         married - that I was going to have
                         that baby.

               J.R. Is a little unnerved at what he's just learned.

                                   J.R.
                         I'm - I don't know what to say. 

                                   GLORIA
                         Oh, no baby.  I didn't mean that
                         I'm upset that I had you.  Having
                         you was the best thing that ever
                         happened to me.  But, I was told
                         when I had that miscarriage that I
                         could never have children -  with a
                         tipped uterus I'd never carry full
                         term if I could even get pregnant. 
                         I came to terms with that and just
                         lived my life.

               J.R. Thinks for a moment...

                                   J.R.
                         With Randi?

                                   GLORIA
                         We were friends, nothing else.  

                                   J.R.
                         I've heard you mention her before
                         but I thought it was a man.

                                   GLORIA
                         We can talk about that another
                         time.  

               Beat.  J.R. Sees this isn't going to end well if he pushes.

                                   J.R.
                         Fair enough.

                                   GLORIA
                         The 60's were a hard time. I hope
                         you never lose a spouse.

               J.R. almost says something but then - Tries to lighten things
               up a little.

               J.R. Looks at her wide eyed as if to say "there you have it".

               Beat
                          

               J.R. Pours himself another cup of coffee.

                                   J.R.
                         More?

                                   GLORIA
                         No.  I'm going to get dressed.

               Gloria hobbles as she exits.

               EXT - Gloria's house - Afternoon.

               J.R. is in his car and calls to his mother as he backs out of
               the driveway.

                                   J.R.
                         I'll call you when I get back to
                         Dallas.

                                   GLORIA
                         If I don't answer just leave a
                         message on the machine.

                                   J.R.
                         It's voice mail, Mom.

                                   GLORIA
                         Whatever.  Bye.  I love you.

                                   J.R.
                         I love you too.

               J.R. Drives off and Gloria goes inside.



               INT: GLORIA'S KITCHEN - AFTER J.R. DRIVES AWAY.

               Gloria comes into the kitchen and reaches for her pills on
               the counter.  She takes two out and reaches for a glass as
               she's hunched over the sink.  She winces in pain.  She
               hobbles over to the chair at the table and sits down.



               EXT: LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDOW INTO THE KITCHEN.

               Gloria falls out of her chair.  It's all over.



               INT: J.R.'S CAR - EVENING

               J.R. drives down a 2 lane highway listening to the radio and
               the phone rings.  It is his cousin, Diane.

                                   J.R.
                         Hello, hello.

                                                         Intercuts with
                                                                 Diane 



               DAY - GLORIA'S HOUSE

               DIANE, 60's, tall with long hair, big jewelry, She has a PhD
               and loves her family.  We see the ambulance in the background
               pull away.

                                   DIANE
                         Where are you?

                                   J.R.
                         Just passed through Prescott. 
                         Sorry I didn't come by to see
                         y'all...

                                   DIANE
                         You need to come back.  It's your
                         Mom.

                                   J.R.
                         I just left her.

                                   DIANE
                         She's gone.

               J.R. Pulls over abruptly.

                                   J.R.
                         What? 

                                   DIANE
                         We just came over to bring Doll
                         some fig preserves and found her -
                         just come on back.  Come to our
                         house.  The paramedics are leaving.

               J.R. spins a U-turn and speeds off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment